There are two types of gas tanker ships
- LNG Ship carries Liquified Natural Gases.
- LPG Ship carries Liquified Petroleum Gas.
Gas tanker ship carries these gases in liquid form by decreasing there temperature. They do so , in order to carry safely and more in quantity.
Table of Contents
What are the 3 types of hazards in Liquified gases?
There are three types of hazards in liquified gases. They are as follows: –
- Flammable Hazards.
- Health Hazards.
- Environmental Hazards.
As the gas carriers carries the gases having very low boiling point in liquid form can catch fire a fraction of second so it has to carry safely. Gases carried in the gas tanker ship can catch fire due excess temperature, static electricity, due to any sparks etc. Some gases like nitric Acid, Sulphuric acid have health Hazards .If inhaled inside the body can damage the tissue and can cause temporary or permanent damage to the body or body organs. While transporting the gases in the seas accident take place, due to accident structure of the ship get damaged and cargo get discharged to the water which pollute the marine environment.
What are tanker fire Hazards on ship ?
We can say Hazards associated to fire are known as fire Hazards. Fire Hazards are mostly present in the cargo compartments where the cargos are kept while carrying them. If the concentration of the oxygen is not maintained in the cargo compartments fire can caught. While loading and discharging the cargo. Due to the static charge accumulation in the loading and discharging pipeline of the ship. Fire Hazards also present in the accommodation of the ship as well. There are various appliances to avoid fire hazards too.
What are the primary hazards in transporting LPG and LNG?
The primary hazards in transporting LPG and LNG are fire Hazard, Health Hazards , Toxic Hazards, environmental Hazards etc. The most important thing onboard is the life of personnel then the property i.e. Ship and cargo then the environment. So, in order to protect ourselves onboard from being affected by the toxic gases we should use proper protective equipment so that we can keep ourselves safe.
What are the precautions to take during cargo operation in gas carrier?
As the gas carriers carries the gases in liquid form below its normal temperature different types of Hazards are being associated with it. Being these cargo volatile (means having flash point less than 60 degree C) can easily caught fire. While loading and discharging all the precautions has to be taken to carry out or the operation safely. Gases that are being carried out in the gas carriers are mostly hazardous to health so, while handling these cargoes appreciate PPE (Personal protective equipment) should be used.
While loading and unloading precautions to be take are:
- The most primary hazard is fire so, at all time the cargo tanks has to inerted at all time.
- While loading and unloading proper cargo watch should be maintained at manifold at all time. The officer performing the watch should properly check any air leak in pipe system.
- Before loading the cargo, cargo hold to should be properly washed and cleaned properly prior to load the cargo.
- Gas freeing should be done.
- Purging should be done in order to avoid passing through flammable range while gas freeing.
- Oxygen concentration should be checked regularly.
- IG should be operational at all time.
- Fire fighting equipment/system should be ready available at all time .
- Simultaneous ballasting and deballasting should be performed.
- If any kind of abnormalities happens duty officer should inform the chief officer.
- If the cargo is toxic then proper protective equipment should be used while handling the cargo.
- If loading and unloading is done during night the deck area should be properly illuminated.